An explanation...

Why Foob? I had a double mastectomy, and at the time, the plastic surgeon put "expanders" under the muscles in my chest. Every 2-3 weeks, they were filled with more saline, in preparation for my reconstructive surgery. They were very full and hard. Uncomfortable. One time, one of my sons gave me a hug and then said "Your foobs are hard!" Hee, hee, hee! My kids have this endearing habit of combining words. So, "Foobs" are fake boobs. Which I will still have, even after the reconstruction.

Foob Babe - that would be me!
"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next." ~Mignon McLaughlin

TELL YOUR CANCER STORY

I'd love to help you tell your cancer story. Visit my business blog, contact me, and let's get started.
http://www.boundtobecherished.blogspot.com/

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Surgeon Consultation - surgery looms...

This is the 2nd installment of the cancer journey (the part that happened before I started my blog). These blog posts are listed under "Let's Start At The Beginning".

After talking to the radiologist at the hospital after my second mammogram, I made an appointment with a surgeon to talk about having a biopsy. A few days before I met with the surgeon, I went to participate in the Relay For Life cancer walk. This was to support my cousin Wendy, who had been diagnosed with DCIS breast cancer about a year earlier. Because I was such a dork during her cancer journey - I didn't even call her (I relied on my mom for information) - I wanted to go and support her by walking at the cancer walk. When I got there, my family heard that my mammogram had discovered something. I was worried, but I remember Wendy saying..."Don't worry until you find out if you really do have it". That was good advice. I tried not to think about it for the rest of the night. Three days later, on August 12, 2009, I met with the surgeon. I really like Dr. ***, who reminded me of Mickey Rooney. Rick and I both were at this appointment. The doctor explained things to us in a little more detail than the radiologist did. He explained that because he wouldn't be able to see the calcifications during the surgery, we would have to do a "needle-guided" biopsy. The radiologist would place a long needle into the breast, pointing to the area that needed to be removed. The surgeon would use the needle to guide him down to the breast tissue where the calcifications were located and he would take a large area out. The calcifications were quite far back - almost right against the chest wall (muscle), which is the reason for the needle. I HATE needles. I know that most people don't like them, but I really HATE them. I was very nervous for this surgery.

Rick and I had questions, of course: How much tissue had to be removed? What would the breast look like after that? If it was DCIS, what then? Radiation? Chemo? What? Dr. *** tried to answer all of our questions, but it was still a little too early for most of the answers. He did say that if it was DCIS, I would then have to do 6 weeks of radiation after the surgery.

After seeing the doctor, I called my cousin, Wendy. I asked her about the biopsy, the radiation, and other things. I remember that as soon as she answered the phone, I started crying. I was just so scared. But, I knew that Wendy survived hers, so I would be ok. I hoped. She was very helpful and had such a great attitude. She has been a rock during this whole cancer journey - she calls me all the time to check on me, she talks me through things. I really love her.

So, the surgery was scheduled for 3 days later - August 15, 2009.

1 comment:

  1. I was kind of a dork myself. I'm now MUCH more empathetic and prayerful for those who are ill. That's one of the blessings of having cancer. God changes us in our love for others. As for Mickey Rooney for a doc? I dunno. Did Mickey get good medical training? LOL. Last year I had to take my brother to the VA for emergency surgery on his leg. His doc was the spitting image of Doogie Houser...I had a tough time not calling him Doogie. He was a great doc, though.

    ReplyDelete