An explanation...

Why Foob? I had a double mastectomy, and at the time, the plastic surgeon put "expanders" under the muscles in my chest. Every 2-3 weeks, they were filled with more saline, in preparation for my reconstructive surgery. They were very full and hard. Uncomfortable. One time, one of my sons gave me a hug and then said "Your foobs are hard!" Hee, hee, hee! My kids have this endearing habit of combining words. So, "Foobs" are fake boobs. Which I will still have, even after the reconstruction.

Foob Babe - that would be me!
"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next." ~Mignon McLaughlin

TELL YOUR CANCER STORY

I'd love to help you tell your cancer story. Visit my business blog, contact me, and let's get started.
http://www.boundtobecherished.blogspot.com/

Thursday, March 25, 2010

New Breast Cancer Support Group

Yesterday I went to the first meeting of a breast cancer support group that my plastic surgeon is forming. It was a nice surprise to meet another BC survivor - Collette. I talked to her before her reconstruction a few week ago. I didn't know she was going to be there, and so it was fun to meet her. She looks great. I remember seeing another patient in Dr. B's office after her reconstruction (before mine), and I couldn't believe how well she was doing just 5 days after the surgery. Really, you wouldn't think that you'd feel ok that soon after having your chest cut open, but compared to the mastectomy, the reconstruction wasn't that bad.

Anyway, I digress. We talked about what name we wanted for the group, what our goals are going to be, where we can meet, how to get everything done, etc. It was so exciting. I've been looking for a way to "give back" to those who helped me, and to make a difference and help other women going through breast cancer. This is it! When I told Rick about it, he wasn't quite as excited as me - he knows how busy I am, and doesn't think I can add anything else to my schedule. But, it will be ok. This is important to me. After I told him everything we had discussed at the meeting, he seemed happy that I had found what I've been looking for.

I'm especially excited about the mentoring program we talked about, and the blog we are planning. That's what I'd love to work on.

As soon as everything is set up, I'll let you know. It's mostly for women here in Utah County, but the blog/website will be for anyone. If you have any suggestions for information to put on the blog, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment