An explanation...

Why Foob? I had a double mastectomy, and at the time, the plastic surgeon put "expanders" under the muscles in my chest. Every 2-3 weeks, they were filled with more saline, in preparation for my reconstructive surgery. They were very full and hard. Uncomfortable. One time, one of my sons gave me a hug and then said "Your foobs are hard!" Hee, hee, hee! My kids have this endearing habit of combining words. So, "Foobs" are fake boobs. Which I will still have, even after the reconstruction.

Foob Babe - that would be me!
"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next." ~Mignon McLaughlin

TELL YOUR CANCER STORY

I'd love to help you tell your cancer story. Visit my business blog, contact me, and let's get started.
http://www.boundtobecherished.blogspot.com/

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Relay For Life Cancer Walk 2009


Last night my family participated in the Relay For Life Cancer Walk here in Syracuse Utah. This is the 3rd time we've done this, but my first time as a cancer survivor. This is somewhat of a family reunion for us - many of my cousins where there with their families, my aunts and uncles, and my parents. We started going to this walk after my cousin, Wendy, was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago. This year, Wendy and I walked, along with my mom (who has skin cancer), and two of my cousins (who have cervical cancer). 5 survivors!!! Here are some of the pictures from last night...

My mom, my sister, and me at the starting line.

Wendy gives her sister Tina a high-five!

An emotional moment - it's been a LONG year for me.

Our care givers met us halfway around the survivors' lap - there is my sister and my dad (who met my mom)

The banner I made - 'The Beauty Remains' was our team name.

Five survivors - Cousins, Jen and Sara, my mom Barbara, me, and cousin, Wendy - we meet up with our team to take a lap around the track.

Our team walking the lap after the survivors lap - look at everyone who came out to support us!

My sons are walking behind me.




At 10:00 pm, we decorate and then light luminaries - for the survivors and those who have died from cancer. Here are the luminaries for me, Wendy, my grandpa, and the son of some good friends of my parents.

This was kind of a personal victory for me. I'm so thankful my family was there to share it with me (my husband and son, Michael, didn't make it for the survivors laps, but came a little later). Cancer SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment