An explanation...

Why Foob? I had a double mastectomy, and at the time, the plastic surgeon put "expanders" under the muscles in my chest. Every 2-3 weeks, they were filled with more saline, in preparation for my reconstructive surgery. They were very full and hard. Uncomfortable. One time, one of my sons gave me a hug and then said "Your foobs are hard!" Hee, hee, hee! My kids have this endearing habit of combining words. So, "Foobs" are fake boobs. Which I will still have, even after the reconstruction.

Foob Babe - that would be me!
"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next." ~Mignon McLaughlin

TELL YOUR CANCER STORY

I'd love to help you tell your cancer story. Visit my business blog, contact me, and let's get started.
http://www.boundtobecherished.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

So Sore...

This last Monday, I had my final "fill" in the expanders. My sis, Kristin, took me to get the fill - mostly because I'm such a baby when I see those needles headed for my chest. The port in the left expander is on the top - easy to get to and not too painful to fill. The port in the right expander has shifted to almost in my armpit. It's always more painful to fill. This time was excruciating. I'm not sure what happened - maybe the needle hit a nerve or went through a sore spot in a muscle - but when Doc stuck the needle in, pain shot through my whole side. It hurt like hell. I'm so glad I don't have to go back for more fills. I don't think I could face another needle.

I think I've reached the limit of how far the muscles and skin in my chest can possibly stretch. I have 900 CCs of saline in each expander! I can hardly move. I am in so much pain. I'm really happy that I don't have to wait for 6 months for the reconstructive surgery (like we originally thought I would), because there is no way I could handle this stretched chest for that long. If I was really brave, I'd post a picture of my chest here. It looks quite amazing - HUGE and hard as rocks. But, I'm not that brave. :-)

One month - May 1st. I can't wait. I know this surgery will be painful and not easy to recover from, but ANYTHING is better than these expanders. I think it will be such a relief to have these out and have soft silicone put in. I hope the next 30 days fly by.

2 comments:

  1. You are so brave! I hope the pain recedes soon for you. I hope everything went good with Grant's homecoming. I'm sure your family is so happy to have you as their courageous mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO KARA-GO KARA! ITS YOUR BOOBDAY! WAHOOO- COME ON MAY 1ST!!!!

    ReplyDelete